Are you a graphic designer or animator needing a new laptop that can handle the demands of your software and projects? Look no further! We’ve researched and tested you and found the best laptop for graphic design and animation in 2023. This blog post will discuss the details and outline the key features you need to consider.
We’ll also provide tips on choosing the right laptop for your needs and give some expert advice on improving your graphics skills using a laptop.
So whether you’re a beginner looking to get started with graphic design or an experienced designer looking for a new tool, this blog post is for you.
How to select best laptop for graphic design and animation?
Performance is key when running graphic design software, photo editors, and 3D modeling and rendering programs. These resource-intensive creative applications can seriously strain your computer and disrupt your creative flow. That’s why it’s essential to have a laptop with the horsepower to run your software seamlessly and keep your design process on track.
This blog post will guide you through the top laptops for graphic designers. These laptops are loaded with decent RAM, fast CPUs, powerful GPUs, and high-resolution screens with accurate color representation and a wide colour gamut. And, of course, ample storage space – combining an SSD with the best photo cloud storage – is crucial for keeping your work secure offline and online.
We’ve compared these laptops across various factors, such as their CPU, GPU, screen quality, connectivity ports, performance, battery life, storage, and pricing, to help you make an informed decision and find the good laptops for graphic design your needs. So, buckle up and get ready to take your graphic design to the next level with the best laptop graphic design!
The best laptop graphic design will vary depending on individual needs and preferences. However, some factors to consider when choosing a laptop for graphic design include the following:
- Processor: A powerful processor such as Intel Core i9 or AMD Ryzen 9 is recommended for demanding tasks such as 3D rendering and video encoding.
- Graphics card: A dedicated graphics card will improve performance for graphically demanding tasks.
- Display: A high-resolution display with good colour accuracy and contrast is essential for design work.
- Storage: A large solid-state drive (SSD) laptop with high storage capacity is recommended for storing large design files.
- Portability: Consider a lightweight laptop with long battery life if you need to work on the go.
It’s also important to consider your budget, preferred software, and other specific requirements when choosing the best laptop for designers.
best laptop for graphic design and animation
MacBook Pro 16-inch
HP ZBook Fury 17 G8
Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio
Asus Zenbook Pro 14 Duo OLED
Razer Blade 17
Acer Predator Helios 300
MSI GF76 Katana
Asus VivoBook Pro 16X OLED
Dell XPS 15
MacBook Pro 16-inch – best MacBook for graphic design
The MacBook Pro 16-inch is a powerful and well-designed laptop that is perfect for professionals who need a lot of processing power and storage.
The 16-inch Retina display is stunning, with vibrant colours and crisp text. The keyboard is easy to type on and the Touch Bar is a useful tool for quickly accessing frequently used functions. The Touch ID fingerprint sensor is also lovely, making it easy to log in and make secure online purchases.
The 8-core Intel Core i9 or i7 processor is extremely fast, making it easy to handle demanding tasks such as 3D rendering or video editing. The dedicated graphics card is also an excellent addition, allowing for smooth performance when playing games or running graphics-intensive applications. The battery life is also impressive, lasting several hours even with heavy use.
- The laptop has excellent speakers, providing high-quality audio output.
- The performance is superfast, making the device capable of handling demanding tasks with ease.
- Good security features help protect sensitive information and user data.
- The laptop has an exceptionally long battery life, providing all-day computing without frequent charging.
- There are plenty of ports, increasing the versatility and usefulness of the device.
- The laptop is on the bigger side, making it less portable and harder to carry around.
- The device may be unaffordable for some users, making it less accessible.
HP ZBook Fury 17 G8- Best graphic design laptop for configuration options
The HP ZBook Fury 17 G8 is a powerful graphic design laptop with Windows 11 Pro, a version of the Windows operating system geared towards businesses and includes features such as device management and security enhancements.
The device is powered by the 11th Generation Intel Core i7 processor, a powerful and efficient processor that can easily handle demanding applications and multitask.
With 16 GB of memory, the device can run multiple applications simultaneously without lag or stuttering. The device also comes with 256 GB SSD storage which makes booting up and loading applications and files lightning fast.
The 17.6″ diagonal FHD display with Intel UHD Graphics is a major highlight of this device. The large, bright, and crisp display provides an immersive visual experience. The Intel UHD graphics are powerful enough to handle high-quality video playback and light gaming.
Overall, the HP ZBook Fury 17 G8 is an excellent choice for business professionals needing a robust, reliable, and portable device that can handle demanding applications and easily multitask. The device’s large display and powerful graphics make it ideal for graphic design, video editing, and data analysis.
- The laptop has a 4K display, providing high-quality visuals and sharpness.
- It has ample customization options, allowing users to personalize the device to meet their specific needs.
- The laptop’s workstation performance makes it well-suited for demanding tasks and applications.
- Good connectivity options increase the versatility and usefulness of the device.
- The laptop is expensive, making it a less accessible option for many users.
- The 720p webcam may not provide the highest quality video output, potentially affecting its use for certain applications.
Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio- Best graphic design laptop for mobile professionals
The Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio is a high-end laptop designed for creators, professionals, and students. It runs on the Windows operating system and is part of the Surface line of devices from Microsoft.
One of the key features of the Surface Laptop Studio is its large, high-resolution touchscreen display. The display measures 13.5 inches and has a 2256 x 1504 pixels resolution. It also supports touch, pen, and Surface Dial input, making it ideal for creative tasks like drawing and painting.
The Surface Laptop Studio is powered by a 10th Gen Intel Core processor and comes with up to 1 TB of SSD storage and up to 16 GB of RAM. This means it has plenty of power to handle demanding tasks such as 3D modelling, video editing, and programming.
Other features of the Surface Laptop Studio include a slim and lightweight design, long battery life, and a backlit keyboard. It also has a built-in fingerprint reader for added security.
The Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio is a high-end laptop designed for creators, professionals, and students who need a powerful and versatile device for their work and creative projects. Its large touchscreen display and powerful hardware make it ideal for video editing, 3D modelling, and programming tasks.
- The laptop is slim and lightweight, making it portable and easy to carry.
- The adjustable easel display provides versatility and versatility.
- The laptop has a solid build, making it durable and long-lasting.
- The 1600p display provides high-quality visuals and sharpness.
- The laptop has limited customization options, making it difficult to personalize the device to meet specific needs.
- The limited connectivity may affect the ability to use certain peripherals and accessories.
- The laptop may not be as well suited for video editing, potentially limiting its use for those in creative fields.
Asus Zenbook Pro 14 Duo OLED (2022)-best Laptop for graphic design and photo editing
You’ll be able to turn up your creative powers to the max with the mighty Zenbook Pro 14 Duo OLED, an Intel® EvoTM-certified powerhouse.
A brand-new AAS Ultra mechanism ventilates the chassis and tilts the next-generation ScreenPadTM Plus secondary touchscreen to a comfortable angle, enabling a seamless and immersive visual experience with the flagship Intel CPU and creator-grade NVIDIA® GPU.
ASUS IceCool Plus technology cools the flagship Intel CPU and creator-grade NVIDIA® GPU for extreme performance. Studio-quality visuals are produced by the world’s most advanced 2.8K OLED HDR 16:10 tablet2, which has a 120Hz refresh rate, PANTONE® Validated colour calibration, and 100% DCI-P3 gamut. Its compact OLED display puts its rivals to shame, making it the ultimate OLED laptop for creative professionals.
- OLED display: The 14-inch OLED display offers excellent colour accuracy and deep blacks, providing an immersive visual experience for tasks such as photo and video editing, gaming, and streaming.
- Dual-screen setup: The laptop features a secondary touchscreen display, allowing users to multitask more efficiently by having multiple applications open simultaneously.
- Strong performance: The Zenbook Pro 14 Duo is powered by a 10th-generation Intel Core processor and an Nvidia GeForce GTX graphics card, making it suitable for demanding functions such as video editing and gaming.
- Good battery life: The laptop can last up to 8 hours on charging once, which is suitable for most users.
- Price: The Zenbook Pro 14 Duo OLED is expensive, making it less accessible to budget-conscious consumers.
- Weight and portability: The laptop is relatively heavy, making it less suitable for users who frequently travel or commute.
- Heat: The laptop may run hot when performing demanding tasks, which may affect user comfort.
- Lack of upgradability: The laptop’s memory and storage options are soldered to the motherboard and cannot be upgraded later.
Razer Blade 17 -best laptops for graphic design and animation
Razer Blade 17 is faster, more powerful, and more compact than ever, enabling professionals to use the latest NVIDIA and Intel processors.
The Blade 17 is a powerful mobile desktop capable of handling performance-intensive AAA games, streaming video, and creating masterpieces. A powerful processor in the Razer Blade 17 enables performance-demanding AAA games to run smoothly.
It boasts a faster 17.3″ display in a sleek and compact body that’s nearly 25% smaller than its predecessor.
The Razer Blade 17’s 14-core processor delivers outstanding performance and is equipped with the latest 12th Generation Intel® CoreTM i9-12900H processor.
With Ampere, NVIDIA’s second-generation RTX architecture, you’ll experience the most realistic ray-traced graphics and NVIDIA DLSS AI features. Aside from making thin, high-performance laptops faster and better than ever, Max-Q Technologies uses AI to make thin, high-performance laptops.
- The laptop runs cooler and relatively quietly, leading to a more comfortable and efficient user experience.
- The keyboard layout and size are highly praised, improving typing accuracy and speed.
- The laptop has excellent performance, making it easily handle demanding tasks.
- The USB-C charging is limited to 54W, potentially affecting the speed at which the device can be charged and limiting the use of certain charging accessories.
Acer Predator Helios 300-best laptops for graphic design under 1000
The Acer Predator Helios 300, a gaming laptop with an 11th-generation Intel Core i7-11800H processor with 8 cores and 16 threads, providing impressive power and speed for running intensive games. It also comes equipped with an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 graphics card with 6GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM, which supports DirectX 12 Ultimate for the ultimate gaming performance.
The laptop has a 15.6″ Full HD IPS LED-backlit display with a 144Hz refresh rate and 3ms Overdrive response time for smooth and fast visuals. Additionally, it has 16GB of DDR4 memory and a 512GB PCIe Gen 4 SSD for fast storage, as well as Intel Killer DoubleShot Pro with Ethernet E2600 and wifi 6 AX1650i for fast internet speeds.
The Helios 300 also has a 5th generation AeroBlade fan with 89 blades to keep the system cool and prevent throttling for sustained performance.
- Extreme performance with an 11th generation Intel Core i7-11800H processor and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 graphics card
- Fast display with a 144Hz refresh rate and 3ms Overdrive response time
- A large amount of RAM and fast storage with 16GB DDR4 and 512GB PCIe Gen 4 SSD
- Intel Killer DoubleShot Pro with Ethernet E2600 and wifi 6 AX1650i for fast internet speeds
- Effective cooling with a 5th-generation AeroBlade fan
- The battery life may not be as long as some other gaming laptops
- The laptop may be heavy and bulky, making it difficult to carry around
- The price may be high for some users
- Some users may not like the design aesthetic
- Some users may not like the keyboard and touchpad
- Some users may not like the webcam positioning
- Only one free 2.5-inch slot available for additional storage
- No USB-C Gen 2 or Thunderbolt support for connecting to newer peripherals and accessories.
MSI GF76 Katana-best laptops for graphic design and gaming
This model is powered by the latest Intel® CoreTM i7 processor, which delivers up to 40% more performance than its predecessor. Increase your productivity and efficiency with this 8-core processor with a dual-core frequency of 4.6GHz to maximize gameplay and multitasking efficiency. Gamers and creators benefit from the superior performance of GeForce RTXTM 30 Series GPUs.
With Ampere—NVIDIA’s second-generation RTX architecture—with new RT Cores, Tensor Cores, and streaming multiprocessors, these cards offer cutting-edge AI features and realistic ray-traced graphics. The keyboard features only red illumination and 1.7mm key travel for better responsiveness and tactile feedback.
It is built on a solid metal shielded with 1.7mm key travel. It will be possible to meet your needs with the new ergonomic keyboard.
- Powerful Intel Core i7 Processor
- A high amount of RAM (up to 64GB)
- High-performance NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card
- Fast boot drive with a large capacity of 1 TB
- Large 17-inch screen
- Windows 10 Home operating system
- Relatively lightweight at 2.6 kg
- Decent battery life of over 5 hours
- Advanced wireless connectivity options, including 802.11ax wifi six and Bluetooth v5.2
- Audio produces less-than-stellar bass.
Asus VivoBook Pro 16X OLED-best Laptop for graphic design beginners
Asus VivoBook Pro 16X OLED is a high-performance laptop designed for professionals and power users. It has several features that make it stand out from other laptops in its class:
- Processor: The laptop is powered by an AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX mobile processor, a high-performance 8-core, 16-thread processor with a 20MB cache and a maximum boost frequency of 4.6 GHz. This processor is suitable for demanding tasks such as video editing and gaming.
- Memory and Storage: The laptop comes with 16GB of onboard DDR4-3200MHz RAM and a 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 storage. This provides fast data access and a large storage capacity.
- Graphics: The dedicated NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti GDDR6 4GB VRAM graphics card allows for smooth and powerful gaming and video editing.
- Operating System and Software: The laptop comes pre-loaded with Windows 10 Home and has lifetime validity. It also includes Office Home and Student 2019 software.
- Design: The laptop has a metallic chassis and is 1.89 cm thin, making it a thin and lightweight laptop. It weighs 1.95 kg and has a 63WHrs, 3-cell Li-ion battery.
- Keyboard: The laptop has a backlit chiclet keyboard and an ASUS Dialpad on the touchpad, which provides additional functionality and convenience.
Overall, the Asus VivoBook Pro 16X OLED is a high-performance graphic design laptop laptop with many features for professionals and power users. It has a powerful processor, high-speed memory and storage, a dedicated graphics card, and a sleek and lightweight design. However, the price may be relatively high compared to other market options.
- High-performance AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX processor
- Powerful Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050 Ti graphics card
- High-speed processor with a base speed of 3.3 GHz
- A large amount of RAM (32 GB)
- Fast boot drive with a large capacity of 1 TB
- Large 16-inch screen with a 60 Hz refresh rate
- 4 GB of dedicated graphics memory
- Advanced wireless connectivity options, including Bluetooth and 802.11ax (wifi 6)
- Good battery life of 14 hours and 33 minutes
- Lightweight at 4.19 lbs
- Comes with Windows 10 operating system
- The USB-C port does not support Thunderbolt, which may limit its usefulness for certain tasks.
Dell XPS 15-best Laptop for graphic design and coding
The Dell XPS 15 laptop is a powerful and versatile device designed for creative professionals who need a balance of size and performance.
It features a bright, colour-rich panel with high resolution, integrated Eyesafe display technology, and a 4-sided InfinityEdge display that enables a large 16:10 screen and 92.9% screen-to-body ratio.
The device is powered by 12th Gen Intel Core processors and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti GPUs, which provide the performance needed to boost workflows and accelerate creative genius. It also features Dell Performance, which allows users to switch between four modes for fan speeds and battery life, and has a battery life of up to 9 hours.
The XPS 15 also comes with a Creator Edition, which includes exclusive and free Studio Drivers to bring out the best in creating apps and a full SD card slot for photography. It also features a large display, a big touchpad, and an edge-to-edge backlit keyboard with large keycaps for maximum productivity.
The Dell XPS 15 laptop (series XPS 15 OLED, model 9520) is a powerful and versatile device well-suited for creative professionals. Some of its main advantages include the following:
- Large 15.6-inch OLED screen with high resolution for immersive content viewing
- Fast and responsive performance with a 512 GB solid-state drive and 16 GB of RAM
- Intel Core i7-12700H CPU and Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050 Ti graphics for high-performance tasks such as video editing and 3D rendering
- Long battery life of 12:47 hours, allowing for extended use on-the-go
- Windows 11 Home operating system for a streamlined and modern user experience
- The built-in webcam is of lackluster quality, which may not be suitable for video conferencing
- Only three USB-C connections, which may not be enough for users with multiple peripherals to connect
Overall, the Dell XPS 15 is a powerful and versatile device that is well-suited for creative professionals, but there may be better choices for those who rely heavily on video conferencing and require many ports to connect peripherals.
Best laptops graphic design: what to look for
When searching for a laptop for graphic design, the most important factors to consider are the processor, graphics card, RAM, and display.
- Processor: Opt for a laptop with a powerful processor, such as an Intel Core i7 or i9 or a high-end AMD Ryzen.
- Graphics Card: A dedicated graphics card such as an NVIDIA or AMD card will be necessary for running graphic-intensive programs smoothly.
- RAM: A minimum of 8GB of RAM is required, but 16GB or more will be better for running multiple programs simultaneously.
- Display: A high-resolution display with a wide colour gamut will be necessary for accurate colour representation. A 4K display or at least 1080p resolution is recommended.
Other features include storage (SSD is faster than HDD), a keyboard and touchpad, and port options.
How we tested
The computerturbo team uses a variety of benchmark tests to evaluate the performance of Windows laptops for graphic design. These tests include:
- PCMark 10: This test measures how well the laptop handles lighter tasks such as web browsing, word processing, and spreadsheets. It simulates everyday use and provides an overall score that can be compared against other laptops.
- HandBrake: This test is more intensive than PCMark 10 and measures how long it takes the laptop’s CPU to encode a large file. This test is beneficial for graphic designers who work with video.
- Cinebench: This test is a brief stress test of the CPU cores. It renders a 2D scene over a short period and provides a score that can be compared against other laptops.
- 3DMark: This test checks for consistency in 3D performance by running graphic-intensive clips. It checks for lag, screen tearing, and other issues affecting the laptop’s overall performance.
- Video rundown test: This test is used to gauge battery life by looping a 4K video using Windows 10’s Movies & TV app until the laptop dies. This test is beneficial for graphic designers who work on the go or travel frequently.
The results of these tests are used to determine the overall performance of the laptop and to make comparisons against other laptops on the market.
After conducting an in-depth review, we have compiled a list of the top 9 laptops that would be ideal for graphic designers. However, we understand that everyone’s needs and preferences are different, and this list may not necessarily suit everyone’s requirements. That being said, we would highly recommend that you consider the laptops on our list and make an informed decision based on your specific needs and budget.
If you want to purchase the best laptop for graphic design and animation in 2023, we suggest that you follow our buying guide for a more thorough understanding of the key factors to consider. This guide will help you evaluate various options and choose the laptop that will best meet your requirements.
If there is anything that we missed or if you have any further queries, please leave a comment below. We wish you the best of luck searching for the perfect laptop for your graphic design needs.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need a powerful laptop for graphic design?
They may only be necessary for some types of projects. For basic tasks such as photo editing and web design, a laptop with a relatively modern processor, a dedicated graphics card, and8 a GB RAM adaptor will be sufficient. However, for more demanding tasks such as 3D modelling, animation, and video editing, a laptop with a more powerful processor, more RAM, and a dedicated graphics card will be necessary.
It’s also worth considering the specific software you’ll use for your graphic design projects. Some software, such as Adobe Creative Suite, can be quite demanding on hardware, so it’s important to ensure that your laptop can handle the software you’ll be using.
In summary, the power and specifications you need for a laptop for graphic design will depend upon the type of work you’ll be doing and the software you’ll be using. It’s always best to research and compare the specifications of different laptops to ensure that you find the best suits your needs.
What about battery life for the best laptop graphic design?
Battery life may be less important for laptops used for graphic design, as high-performance hardware and graphics-intensive programs can drain the battery quickly. However, it’s still a factor worth considering, especially if you plan to use your laptop for on-the-go projects.
If battery life is a concern, look for laptops with energy-efficient processors and models with high-capacity batteries. Additionally, some laptops come with power-saving features that can help extend the battery life.
You can also consider an external battery pack or power bank as an alternative solution to ensure a longer work time.
While battery life may not be the most critical factor when choosing a laptop for graphic design, it’s still something to keep in mind, particularly if you use your laptop frequently outside a power outlet.
What about connectivity?
Connectivity is important when choosing a laptop for graphic design, as you may need to connect to multiple external devices and peripherals.
Here are some connectivity features that are useful for graphic designers:
USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports allow fast data transfer, charging, and connecting to external displays and peripherals.
HDMI port allows you to connect to an external monitor or TV.
SD card reader: This allows you to easily transfer files from a camera or other device with an SD card.
Ethernet port: This port allows for a wired internet connection, which can be more stable faster than wifi.
Audio ports allow you to connect to external speakers or headphones.
Good webcam: A high-resolution webcam is important for video conferencing and remote working.
Additionally, check for other ports and connections, such as VGA, DisplayPort, and legacy USB ports, for devices you may need to connect to your laptop.
Some manufacturers like Apple and Microsoft prioritize design and portability over connectivity features. However, many laptops still offer a wide range of connectivity options while still being portable. Keep in mind that you can always use an external docking station or a USB-C hub to expand the connectivity options of your laptop.
Can Gaming Laptops Be Used For Graphic Design?
Yes, gaming laptops can be used for graphic design as they are equipped with powerful hardware that can handle the demands of graphic design software. They typically have high-end processors and dedicated graphics cards, which allow them to handle tasks such as 3D rendering, video editing, and image manipulation. Additionally, they often have a high amount of RAM and fast storage options such as SSDs, which can help improve performance and speed up file transfer times.
As you mentioned, gaming laptops also tend to have high-refresh-rate displays, which can be beneficial for working with motion graphics and video. These displays can provide smooth and seamless movement, which can be especially useful for animators and visual effects artists.
However, remember that gaming laptops tend to be heavier and larger than traditional laptops and may be less portable. Additionally, they also tend to be more expensive than regular laptops.
In summary, gaming laptops can be an excellent choice for graphic design if you need the power and performance to handle heavy workloads and are willing to pay the premium price.
How Much RAM Is Good For Graphic Design?
For graphic design, 16GB of RAM is a good starting point, with the understanding that more is always better. However, 32GB or even 64GB of RAM can help ensure smooth performance with demanding design applications if you can afford it. Ultimately, the amount of RAM you need will depend on the complexity and size of your projects and the specific design software you use.
Which Processor Is Better For Graphic Design?
It’s recommended to go for an 8-core processor or higher as they provide better performance and efficiency for demanding tasks such as 3D rendering and video encoding. However, it’s not just the number of cores that matters but also the clock speed and architecture of the processor. A high-end processor like Intel Core i9 or AMD Ryzen 9 can be a good choice for graphic design. It’s essential to consider your budget and specific needs as well.
Is It Better To Use A Laptop Or A Tablet For Graphic Design?
Laptops are generally considered a better option for the graphic design than tablets. Laptops have more powerful hardware and a more comprehensive range of ports for connecting peripherals such as external hard drives, displays, and graphic tablets, making them a better choice for running graphic design software and tools. Tablets, on the other hand, are more portable and have longer battery life. Still, they often need more processing power, memory, and storage capacity to handle complex graphic design projects. If you need to do on-the-go design work, consider a high-end 2-in-1 laptop with a detachable keyboard, which offers the best of both worlds.